Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Children's Fashion in the Works

Magic Sewing Machine Print by Slovly

 Since the start of this year I've been designing new patterns for a friend to make rain ponchos and hats for a spring line. She also requested fleece ponchos to match her hat line. Since I have no children around to model and check the fitting I was constantly having to send samples to her. So eventually I bought myself this affordable dress form that will also look good for taking photos.


In the process of making these patterns I was highly pleased with my ability to teach myself how to sew a neck placket (you know, the neck opening on a polo). It got me thinking again about sewing clothing. I've been going back and forth throughout probably most of my life thinking about starting a clothing line. It all started the day my mom got me a fashion design kit for my birthday, I think in 4th grade, which I ended up using to "design" fashions for our 5th grade newspaper.

Since I not only successfully sewed a neck placket with cotton muslin and one in the slippery material used in the rain ponchos, I decided I was ready for other sewing challenges in my life. I started my shop making items that were quick and easy to make. It's been fun making things that are so easy for me to develop and give me instant gratification, but I'm starting to get bored. 

Lately to get me inspired I've been looking at some of the cute children's outfits sold by some of the top Etsy sellers. I really love Dreamspun and Chic baby Rose most although I probably won't follow that same route. Especially since I get both companies very confused. I guess what I admire about each of them is that their photos are very dreamy yet playful.

Set of 3 Sweetheart Pettiskirts by Dreamspun
Petti Jumper by Chic Baby Rose














I think my favorite kids outfit of all time is this Jack Skellington Costume that seems to have disappeared off of Etsy. I always admired this one so I'm not sure why the seller disappeared.

Lately though my biggest inspiration has been coming from Project Run and Play. It's a kids version of Project Runway. Season 4 is starting soon so I will definitely be keeping up with that.

Since I'm in the very early stages of planning my own children's fashion line there probably won't be any kids clothing in my shop for awhile. I'm hoping to do affordable outfits for everyday wear as well as more complicated designs for costume or dress up. Mostly just to keep things interesting and to continue to challenge myself. 

In the mean time I am filling my shop up with more variety of products I already make. I've got new items to list each day so the shop will always stay fresh.

3 comments:

  1. How exciting - waiting yo see your line. and a big thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have kids I'm probably going to be bugging you to make things all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the outfits that are inspiring to you. You have a gift and I know that your clothes line will be a reflection of your own unique designs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...