Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Give Thanks: Part 1


Give Thanks Earrings by Msemrick




It's November already and it's time to start thinking about Thanksgiving. Every year for Thanksgiving my family gathers at my aunt's house who lives in this really small town of about 300 people.








After dinner we wander around town in a group causing all the trouble we can.









We tag my cousin's name under the bridge and visit haunted houses.







Now onto the food:
Well the pie at least. This year I'm making pie. My Grandma used to do it and at least one was made from berries in her garden. As she got older she didn't want to make it anymore so she just bought pre-made crust and everything from the grocery store. Now she doesn't even do it at all. Last year the task was given to my mom, but I think she's following in my Grandma's footsteps a little too early in her life so I made sure to take over this year. My aunt can't be expected to make everything.

A year ago my co-op (Outpost Foods in Milwaukee) posted a recipe "The One Pie Dough to Rule Them All". I had always made my pie dough from the Better Homes Cook Book, which uses shortening (yek!) and always comes out flat and tasteless. This one uses butter and is a little more time consuming to make, but in the end is so worth it. The crust is perfectly flaky. I will never go back to using shortening again.

For the best pie crust you ever made jump on over to Chez Pim's blog for "The One Pie Dough to Rule Them All" recipe.

1 comment:

  1. I know people who would insist on using shortening, but honestly, the less processed ingredients you can use, the better, in my opinion. Tell us how your pie turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...